[ESS] install.packages() fails on Windows 7; can't choose CRAN mirror

Brian Diggs diggsb at ohsu.edu
Tue Jun 22 23:28:41 CEST 2010

On 6/22/2010 1:50 PM, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER wrote:
> I turned off the file chooser GUI on Windows for directories because on
> some, not all, systems MS
> doesn't allow directories to be chosen.
> Instead, you should get the usual emacs request for a directory in the
> mini-buffer area.
>
> For other types of menus, I haven't checked.
> Try the following as a global setting
>
> (setq use-dialog-box nil)
>
> and let us know if that solves it.
>
> Rich

Another workaround that I have used when I've had problems with this is
to set the mirror before calling install.packages():

chooseCRANmirror(graphics=FALSE)

Giving the graphics=FALSE argument lets you make the choice entirely in
the *R* buffer.

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Paul Johnson<pauljohn32 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Can you try install.packages on Windows 7 to see if you hit this same
>> trouble?
>>
>> On a Win 7 system we have the newest Emacs / ESS from Prof Goulet's
>> website. ESS is version 5.10.
>>
>> We run into a problem similar to the "File Chooser" panel won't work
>> problem that existed in older ESS. Remember when R would ask you to
>> choose a working directory and it would not let  you pick one?  Now a
>> similar happens, but it won't pop up a menu chooser.  When we run
>> install.packages("xyz"), the *R* window stops saying select CRAN
>> mirror, nothing ever pops up to let us choose a site.
>>
>> Emacs appears "stuck".   We have to open the ordinary Rgui and run
>> install.packages.
>>

>> pj
>>
>> --
>> Paul E. Johnson
>> Professor, Political Science
>> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
>> University of Kansas

Brian Diggs
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery, Oregon Health &
Science University