[ESS] ESS usage poll

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Fri Jun 18 23:23:54 CEST 2010

Martin Maechler a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:34, Rasmus <rasmus.pank at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1. Which statistical package(s) do you use with ESS?
>> R 2.11
>>
>>> 2. Which version(s) of emacs do you use?
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1
>>
>>> 3. Which operating system(s) do you use?
>> Arch Linux (non-testing branch)
>>
>>> 4. If you could only request one feature, what would it be?
>> Improvements of AUCTeX integration. Sometimes results are weird.
>> Compilation
>> works poorly. It would be nice to easily specify new compilers to use for
>> example pgfsweave.
>>

> interesting: Just today I've proposed to my ESS-core colleagues, that we
> should
> not hardwire "pdflatex"  to the the  M-n P  keybinding in ESS-sweave.
> At first I was just proposing to replace  "pdflatex" by a customizable
> variable
> (and I would put 'texi2pdf' as default),
> but in the mean time, I found that I would really want the user to be
> *prompted* for the command to be run,
> *and* use the customizable variable (which I'd set to "texi2pdf" initially)
> just as a *default* for that command.
>
> Would that give what you'd want?

Well, if one of the choice would be rubber [1], I'd definitely be happy
with ESS :)

My own poll:

1. Which statistical package(s) do you use with ESS?
(specify the version number)

__most recent from linux CRAN repositories___ R
_____________ S-plus
_____________ SAS
_____________ Stata
_____________ JAGS
_____________ BUGS
_____________ Other, specify ________________

2. Which version(s) of emacs do you use?
(specify the version number)

__most recent from the distribution repositories____ GNU Emacs
_____________ Aquamacs
_____________ XEmacs
_____________ SXEmacs
_____________ Other, specify ________________

3. Which operating system(s) do you use?
(specify the version number and/or variant)

__Debian Testing usually, Ubuntu (latest) when needed___ Linux
_____________ Windows
_____________ Mac OS X
_____________ Solaris/OpenSolaris
_____________ AIX
_____________ HP-UX
_____________ FreeBSD
_____________ Other, specify ________________

4. If you could only request one feature, what would it be?

Integration of Rubber as I said earlier! But I would definitely second
Rasmus request of integration with AUCTeX. As I use mostly R in Sweave
docs, I'd like to be able to use C-c C-c to compile, as I'm used to do
for LateX documents. Well, of course it would go in two passes instead
of one: 1) with Sweave, 2) with Rubber.

At the moment, I have an awful hack in my .emacs to achieve this, and
maybe it's not possible otherwise considering the relations between ESS,
AUCTex and Emacs.

Sincerely,
Mathieu.

[1] http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~beffara/soft/rubber/

> REgards,
> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich (and ESS core team)
>

>> Thanks,
>> Rasmus

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.