[ESS] ESS usage poll

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 07:05:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Stephen Eglen
> <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> hi Paul, I think you mean C-c TAB, as Deepayan said, rather than just
>> C-TAB:
>>
>> C-c TAB runs the command ess-complete-object-name, which is an
>> interactive compiled Lisp function in `ess-inf.el'.
>>
>> (within a .R buffer)
>>

> OK. There's some progress.  C-c TAB will complete R commands in the .R buffer.
>
> It will not complete file names, though. In the *R* buffer, typing
> read.table("what followed by TAB will complete the file "what...".

It will once you execute

rc.settings(files = TRUE)

in R (I do so in my .Rprofile). Filename completion is turned off by
default because Emacs does it's own filename completion. In the *R*
buffer, TAB is bound to the native filename completion when the cursor
is inside quotes, but that's not true in .R file buffers.

You can still activate the native filename completion using M-TAB
(Alt-TAB will usually be captured by the Window manager, but Esc TAB
should work).

-Deepayan