[ESS] ess and emacs interaction problem

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 04:19:15 CEST 2010

   Hi  All:  Please  bear with me because I'm totally lisp illiterate and
   generally  clueless about  the internals of emacs-ess.
   Let me give the background first:
   I have a windows xp desktop and I've been using emacs-ess  which I obtained
   a while back from vincent goulet's distribution ( thanks vincent ). I don't
   remember how I got it to wok but it is part of Gnu Emacs 22.3 and I've
   included the dotemacs file that I use in my home directory on my desktop. I
   don't know which command in the dotemacs does it but one of them makes it
   such that when you run commands in R, the scroll bar in the other window
   moves down nicely so that you can see your output. It's all great. But, of
   course, there'a a but:
   I recently got a laptop for my birthday and I'm taking it down to Ruser2010
   for the Sweave tutorial. So today I downloaded vincent's
   disribution which now is based off GNU Emacs 23.2. So, I copied my dotemacs
   file to the appropriate home directory on the laptop
   ( there it's called \users\markleeds. on my desktop it's documents and
   settings\mark leeds ). But when I test out the interaction
   of emacs-ess by bringing up a test.R file and running some basic commands,
   the scroll bar behavior is that weird behavior where you can't see what was
   run. and have to bring the scroll bar down manually with your mouse. I'm not
   sure what else is not workng but that's
   definitely one thing. it essentially makes me not able to work in ess.
   I've looked around to see if I did any other things to get emacs-ess on my
   desktop to work but it's been so long and I can't see anything.
   I vaguely  remember needing require or load somewhere but I don't see ( or
   don't  know  where  to find ) where I did something like that if I did
   something like that.
   I think the problem might be either that A) on my laptop, my dotemacs file
   is either not getting read or possibly it is getting read but then the
   commands are getting overrode by some command in another file ? or B)Â  I'm
   supposed to put require or load somewhere  and I
   haven't.
   So,  if  someone knows what might be causing this problem, it's really
   appreciated. I love emacs-ess but getting it work smoothly is
   always something that I run into troubles with. But eventually,  when I do
   get it to work, I'm a happy camper. ALso,  thank you to all the amazing
   people that created it and work on it.  Also, thanks a lot for any insight
   and I'm sorry for being so lost. Also,  if you need
   other information, just let me know.
   Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
   Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
   Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
   Mark