[ESS] ess and roxygen

Henning Redestig henning.red at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 15 02:04:01 CET 2010

Hi,

I have started to use Roxygen style documentation and figured I needed
better support to edit those entries. So as a small project to also
learn some elisp, I wrote the ess-roxy minor mode. It features

- basic highlighting
- generating and updating templates from function definition
  - C-c C-e C-o :: update template
- navigating and filling roxygen fields
  - M-q, C-a, ENTER, M-h :: advised fill-paragraph,
       move-beginning-of-line, newline-and-indent, mark-paragraph
  - C-c C-e n,p :: next, previous roxygen entry
  - C-c C-e C-c :: Unroxygen region. Convenient for editing examples.
- folding visibility using hs-minor-mode
  - TAB :: advised ess-ident-command, hide entry if in roxygen doc.

I took inspiration from doc-mode,
http://nschum.de/src/emacs/doc-mode/ but still lack many of doc-modes
fancier features.

Anyway, I found it useful and thought someone else might have use for it too.

Get it at:

http://www.metabolome.jp/download/ess-roxy/

To enable it for ESS, put something like

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/dir/with/ess-roxy")
(require 'ess-roxy)
(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
	  (lambda () (ess-roxy-mode) ))

in .emacs

cheers,

--
/Henning Redestig

Metabolome Informatics Unit | RIKEN Plant Science Center