[ESS] Emacs Modified updated to ESS 5.7.1

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Jan 5 16:23:23 CET 2010

On 01/ 5/10 04:56 AM, Neil Shephard wrote:

> Sounds as though you are compiling things from source and pulling in
> all dependencies like the required library manually.
>
> You might find that pulling in a package management system from a
> Linux distro that has been designed to run on OS X would save you a
> world of hassle.
>
> I use Gentoo on my PC's, and their Portage package management system
> (based on BSD's ports) is absolutely brilliant and has been ported to
> OS X (see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/).
>
> It might seem a bit of hassle in the first instance, but in the long
> run it will likely save you hours of time.
>
> I'd imagine there are other options out there too.
>
> HTH's
>
> Neil

Hi Neil:

That is almost exactly what I meant.  What I do on OS X (and Solaris)
is I use MacPorts (OpenCSW) to install GNU Emacs (XEmacs).  This handles
all of the library dependencies.  However, then I download the latest
source and compile it since I have never found an automated system that
does emacs the way that I want it.  Try it, you'll like it :o)

--
Rodney Sparapani       Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor