[ESS] Emacs' coding system in R-help buffer.

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 23 11:37:32 CET 2010

    gj> Hello,

    gj> I am using ESS-5.7.1 from Emacs 22.3.1 on a 64-bit RedHat Linux server, R
    gj> 2.10.0, Splus 8.1.1

    gj> When I open a R-help buffer from a "*.r" buffer a new buffer is open and
    gj> the help, for the requested function, is displayed.  But some characters
    gj> are in a "hard to read" form for human eyes.  For example, the following is
    gj> a portion of the "history" help file.

    gj> #############################################################################################
    gj> max.show: the maximum number of lines to show. â\200\230Infâ\200\231 will
    gj> give all of
    gj> the currently available history.

    gj> reverse: logical. If true, the lines are shown in reverse order. Note:
    gj> this is not useful when there are continuation lines.

    gj> pattern: A character string to be matched against the lines of the
    gj> history

    gj> ...: Arguments to be passed to â\200\230grepâ\200\231 when doing the
    gj> matching.
    gj> ###########################################################################################

    gj> I am also using Splus for a long time, from ESS, on the same machine and
    gj> never had this sort of problem.

Well, I think S+ (as it is finally called!) does not support
internationalization AFAIK (it may do, using Microsoft concepts
on Windows, but standard ones).

    gj> The coding-system for the R-help buffer
    gj> is:

    gj> Coding system for saving this buffer:
    gj> Not set locally, use the default.
    gj> Default coding system (for new files):
    gj> 1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)

    gj> Coding system for keyboard input:
    gj> nil
    gj> Coding system for terminal output:
    gj> u -- utf-8 (alias of mule-utf-8)

    gj> Defaults for subprocess I/O:
    gj> decoding: 1 -- iso-latin-1-unix

    gj> encoding: 1 -- iso-latin-1-unix

etc etc etc

The problem in such cases is that  Emacs and R do not agree
about the coding system to use.

The above indicates to me, that your Emacs configuration
is preferring iso-latin-1  in some ways,
and I know that R nowadays strongly prefers UTF-8 (Unicode),
of course all depending on the localization aka 'LOCALE' ...
which I know is typically UTF-8 on Redhat.

I think .. that Emacs 23.1  may solve such problems somewhat
automatically for you, but I don't know if you can easily
upgrade to that.
Otherwise, you should try to customize your Emacs 22.3 to prefer
Unicode (UTF-8) over ISO-latin-1 .

Alternatively, you change the locale before starting Emacs...

Can other Redhat users chime in?

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    gj> Both for S+ and R the coding-systems are identical, I ran diff after saving
    gj> the corresponding coding-systems, no differences???

    gj> Any clues?  Thanks,

    gj> Gérald Jean
    gj> Conseiller senior en statistiques,
    gj> VP Planification et Développement des Marchés,
    gj> Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
    gj> télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
    gj> télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
    gj> courrier électronique: gerald.jean at dgag.ca

    gj> "In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

    gj> Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
    gj> uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
    gj> privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
    gj> reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

    gj> This communication ( and/or the attachments ) is intended for named
    gj> recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
    gj> which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
    gj> please destroy all copies.

    gj> Faites bonne impression et imprimez seulement au besoin !
    gj> Think green before you print !

    gj> Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

    gj> This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake please destroy all copies.