[ESS] ESS and Windows 7

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 20:41:40 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Daniel Nordlund <djnordlund at verizon.net> wrote:

> I am new to Emacs,
> But when I start Emacs, load an R code file, and try to start an inferior R session (either using the R menu icon or M-x R, asks for "starting data directory?"  I have found no way to continue on from there.  Trying to accept the default results in either nothing happening, or an error message
>
>  "apply: Spawning child process: invalid argument".

This is the same problem I was describing recently about Windows NT
and Win7.  One workaround is to tell Emacs not to use the new-fangled
file chooser.

In a file in side your emac's site-start.d directory (call the file
anything, ending in .el)  add this command:

(setq use-file-dialog nil)

The file I currently tell my windows-using students to use:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/stat/ps706/50emacs-ess-ku.el

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science