[ESS] getting output from inside functions when running R from ESS

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 23 15:17:44 CEST 2010

Maas James Dr (MED) <J.Maas at uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've attached a small piece of code, it will give me output in
> response to 'cat' when running in rgui.exe (windows) but not when
> executing it from within ESS.  Is there a way to get it to return the
> output from 'cat' to the R buffer for debugging?

hi Jim,
I think it depends how you execute the code within ESS.  If I put your
code into a buffer (jim.R) and do 'C-c C-b', then I see the output.  I
won't see the output if I do 'C-c C-l' however - that just loads the
file and puts the output into a temporary buffer.  (The temp buffer is
then checked to see if there were any errors.)

Stephen