[ESS] new user questions: appending to transcripts and buffer management

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 15 03:32:47 CEST 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Alex Bokov wrote:

> I've been working with R for a couple of years, but I have taken the plunge
> into emacs and ESS only recently. I was surprised by how much I was able to
> figure out about using ESS by searching on my own, but the following two
> questions are still stumping me and I hope someone here can help.
>
> 1.    If I quit an R session without quitting the buffer then later start a
> new one in that buffer, it will append to the existing buffer contents after
> delimiting them with a form-feed. This would be an improvement over the
> native loadhistory() and savehistory() method, except that it only works
> until I have to quit emacs. I cannot just save the transcript file with C-x
> C-w and restore the buffer state from it later.  The .St file gets opened in
> ess-transcript mode instead of in R-mode and even though I can still send
> previous commands to an R process in a separate buffer, there doesn't seem to
> be any way to append to the original .St file. If I save the new R buffer to
> an .St file, it overwrites the original.
>
> How can I either append to an .St file or in some other way restore the exact
> state of an R buffer after rebooting my laptop?

I think that the general advice is to not bother to try this. Instead work
from an ess-mode edit buffer (*.R) and send commands to the R process from
there using the ess-eval-* commands. (If you do not know these, check the
ESS menu or type 'C-h f ess-eval-<TAB> and a buffer listing them all will
appear.

Save the buffer when you quit. When you restart later

 	M-x find-file whatever.R
then
 	C-c C-l

will run ess-load-file and you can continue.

Every so often, I forget this advice and enter commands at the R prompt.
If I want to save this work, I can save it as *.Rt, then clean the
transcript, and copy it into or save it as *.R. :-) If you insist on
working from the transcript buffer, you can then kill the cleaned buffer
without saving and redo find-file, and you are ready to go.

> 2.    Emacs in general and ESS in particular spams me like crazy with various
> temporary buffers. What I would like to do is have one frame with a small
> collection of buffers I selected that I can cycle through using
> previous-buffer and next-buffer. All other buffers would be completely banned
> from that frame no matter how important emacs thinks they are and they would
> be instead be forced to use a separate frame.
>
> It would also be nice to automatically kill certain sessions as soon as they
> stop being in the foreground, but for now I'll settle just for segregating
> them all in one frame.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do that?

I'd start by looking at

 	http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryBufferSwitching

I know there are some devotees of 'icicles' on this list, and 'doremi' and
some other links might warrant a look.

HTH,

Chuck