[ESS] What happened to ess-transcript-clean-region ?

Vitaly S. spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 15:54:55 CEST 2010

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
> What exactly did you do to get emacs to hang there ?
> What's your major-mode there (C-h v major-mode)?

It does not work in .R buffers (ESS). I tried it with vanilla emacs with just
ess loaded,  the same story there - emacs hangs.

Somehow unrelated,  but while loading the vanilla emacs I realized that emacs23
does not expand usual directories at start-up  (.i.e
"/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" and "/usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp".
Instead, the expanded directories are "/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/"
and "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/".

If it's indeed a change in emacs 23, then the  ESS debian package placing it's
ess-site.el in old dirs,  might be slightly inconvenient for some users.

I am somewhat at loss,  since I could not find any reference to the above change
in emacs23 in the Internet.

Vitaly.