[ESS] highlight parenthesis --- problems with .emacs in emacs23

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Oct 29 23:06:15 CET 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:

> Hola!
>
> I am now using emacs23 from ubuntu 9.10 (and ess 5.5, R 2-10.0)
>
> The following code
> Highlight parenthesis stuff:
>    (require 'highlight-parentheses)
> (setq hl-paren-colors '("gold" "IndianRed" "cyan" "green" "orange"
>  "magenta"))
>  (defun hpm-on ()
>   (highlight-parentheses-mode t))
> (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook 'hpm-on)
> (add-hook 'inferior-ess-mode-hook 'hpm-on)
> (add-hook 'tex-mode-hook 'hpm-on)
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'hpm-on)
> in my .emacs file (which I have stolen from this list ...)
> worked in emacs22, but now gives the following error under staurtup:
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/
> kjetil/.emacs':
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: Highlight
>
> ???
>
> Kjetil

The first thing that I would check is that you have highlight-
parentheses.el in your emacs 23 lisp directory.

Depending upon how you installed emacs 23, that file (and others) may
not be installed or are not in a location that emacs 23 knows about.

The file is not part of the Emacs cvs and is not typically part of
Emacs 23 bundles that I have seen for most platforms. I don't use
Ubuntu and don't know if it has been included in emacs related .deb
files. It was not part of the Fedora emacs rpms as I recall.

You may have to download that file separately (http://nschum.de/src/emacs/highlight-parentheses/
) and use:

   (load "/PATH.TO/highlight-parentheses")

rather than require.