[ESS] no S4 help under Windows XP

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 21 15:47:25 CEST 2009

I forgot to cc: the list on this reply.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: [ESS] no S4 help under Windows XP
To: Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk>

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Stephen Eglen
<S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I installed Goulet's package awhile ago, and am running ESS 5.3.10,
>> emacs 22.3.1 and R 2.8.1.  I started an R session with M-X R.  I don't
>> think I've made any customizations to R/ESS.
>>
>> ?setClass
>> or
>> ?Classes
>> gets me an empty buffer *help[R](setClass)*.
>>
>> Could anyone suggest a solution or diagnosis?  (Well, other than my
>> short-term fix of working in Linux--the data I'll need is on Windows and
>> needs to stay there).
>
> hi Ross, can I just confirm -- you find that
>
> ?setClass
>
> works on linux
>
> but not on windows?
>
> Does life get any easier if you add:
>
> (setq inferior-ess-r-help-command "help(\"%s\", htmlhelp=TRUE)\n")
>
> to your .emacs which should then start help windows in a web browser?

Not to hijack the thread but the default inferior-ess-r-help-command
fails under R-devel (2.11.0 development version) where the arguments
to 'help' are

> args("help")
function (topic, package = NULL, lib.loc = NULL, verbose =
getOption("verbose"),
   try.all.packages = getOption("help.try.all.packages"), help_type =
getOption("help_type"))
NULL

It gets a bit tricky to decide what expression you should use for a
...r-help-command when

help("help")

fails.