[ESS] I never want Emacs to split a frame. Can you help?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 20 22:34:33 CEST 2009

hi Paul,
> However, if the user forgets to hit the big blue R, and sends a
> command to a non-existant R session, then ESS does us the favor of
> splitting the frame and starting R within a buffer.   In the old days,
> ESS would return an error saying there was no instance of R running.
> That was adequate.  Now it does this annoying thing.
>
> I'd settle if you could tell me an Emacs config command to completely
> eliminate the odious split frame tendency of Emacs.

hi Paul,

something odd is happening here; I see you already have the following
in your config:
(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)

which should tell emacs to create new frames for each new *R* regardless
of how *R* was created.  On my machine, running either M-x R or just
sending a line of R code (without any *R* buffers pre-existing) creates
*R* in a new frame.  This is with ESS 5.5, but this code hasn't changed
in a while.

Stephen