[ESS] Problem installing ESS - I don't understand the instructions

PBK Research peter at pbkresearch.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 23:58:46 CEST 2009

Hi Rodney

Many thanks for your help. After sending this query, I had a reply saying
that it had not been passed on because the moderator had to approve it. So I
carried on looking, and (from something on Vincent Goulet's site, I think) I
found that .emacs is an initialization file. So I dug into Emacs, found an
initialization page, and forced it to save the current setup. I then found
that .emacs now existed (in my personal Application Data folder), and
amended it as directed. So I now have ESS working, and am trying to find the
most convenient way to use it for my project. Problem solved, therefore, but
no doubt more to come! Still, it all helps to keep the little grey cells
busy!

Thanks again

Peter Kenny