[ESS] "No ESS process is associated with this buffer now"

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 30 17:31:34 CET 2009

Hi Ross,

    RossB> Using the development version of ESS 5.6 from Nov 2, I get the error in
    RossB> the subject when I try to c-c c-l an R file.  This happens whether are
    RossB> start the R process before or after editing the R file.

 *any*  R file  ????

I am *always* working with the development version of ESS,
and I haven't seen this at least not consciously
(certain problems I see, I solve so quickly with a few key
 strokes that I tend to even forget the problems ...)

    RossB> Calling switch process in the .R buffer corrects the
    RossB> problem.  Is there a better way?  My recollection is
    RossB> that in previous versions things just worked.

Could you try?  I'd be really glad if you could check if your
problem does (not) happen when using ESS 5.5.

We'd be glad for a more detailled (bug) report, with exact key
strokes etc...
The last entry in both ESS (Emacs) menues is called
"Send bug report".
Please use that even if it's only for the development version of
ESS and not the released one.

as said, I'm *only* working with "ESS devel" and I'm working
with R everyday and haven't seen your problem.

Martin