[ESS] How to control indentation in an R function?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 26 14:40:16 CET 2009

Dear Michael,

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings.  I'd like to have statements in R functions be indented by four
> spaces, as:
>
>     fn <- function (x) {
>         y <- x^2            #### this line is indented by four spaces
>     }
>
> What I get is indentation by two spaces, as:
>
>     fn <- function (x) {
>       y <- x^2            #### this line is indented by two spaces
>     }

It looks like our customizations are not working properly, as
ess-indent-level is customizable but is not being remembered.  I will
investigate, but in the meantime, this should work for you:

put this in .emacs and restart Emacs:

(defun myindent-ess-hook ()
  (setq ess-indent-level 4))

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook 'myindent-ess-hook)

Stephen