[ESS] problems trying to install ESS package

Gustavo Lacerda guse at optimizelife.com
Thu Nov 26 06:41:58 CET 2009

There is only one .emacs file.

The "~" refers to your home directory, and emacs understands this.
To satisfy your curiosity, If you want to know the absolute path to
your home directory, open up a shell and type:  echo $HOME  (if you
use Windows, it's:  echo %HOME%)

But if you use emacs to modify the .emacs, you don't need to worry
about the absolute path. Simply open "~/.emacs", and you will see your
.emacs (if you have one).

FWIW, I don't use (require 'ess-site).  On my .emacs, I only have
(load-file "C:\\progra~1\\emacs\\emacs-22.3\\site-lisp\\ess-5.4\\lisp\\ess-site.el")

Gustavo