[ESS] inferior-ess-hook and linum-mode

Vinh Nguyen vqnguyen at uci.edu
Thu Nov 12 04:48:47 CET 2009

dear ess-list,

this is my first attempt at hooks in emacs so please bear with me.  i
have linum-mode on globally:
(require 'linum)
(global-linum-mode 1)

reason being that i can use 'M-g M-g' to go to a line very fast.
however, i don't need this in the R console, iESS.  I prefer it to not
have linum-mode on in the R session as I get to 1000s of lines easily,
which takes up room in the buffer.

i want to be able to turn off linum-mode whenever an R session starts.
 I tried two methods.
1:
(add-hook 'inferior-ess-hook 'linum-mode)
2:
(defun turn-off-linum ()
(linum-mode)
)
(add-hook 'inferior-ess-hook 'turn-off-linum)

however, both methods do not work.  any suggestions?  am i not doing
this correctly?

thanks.
vinh