[ESS] options(error=recover) produces ESS freeze

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Nov 6 15:24:20 CET 2009

Peter Meilstrup wrote:
> I keep reproducing a very simple recipe for making ESS and the entire
> Emacs process freeze:
>
> 1. set options(error=recover)
> 2. Move to a buffer where there is a group of statements, one of which
> will produce an error. For example:
>
> options(error=recover)
> library(datasets)
> avg <- by(warpbreaks, list(warpbreaks$wool, warpbreaks$tnsion),
> function(x)mean(x$breaks)))
> #previous line generates error due to typo
> print(avg)
>
> 3. use C-p or C-r etc. to evaluate the paragraph.
> 4. RESULT: emacs becomes completely unresponsive.
>
> This makes ESS darn near unusable for me. This can't be normal, can it?

This works fine for me using R-2.10.0, emacs 22.3.1 and ess 5.6 (svn
checkout) on Windows or R-2.10.0, emacs 23.1.2 and ess 5.4 on Linux

 > options(error=recover)
 > library(datasets)
 > avg <- by(warpbreaks, list(warpbreaks$wool, warpbreaks$tnsion),
+ function(x)mean(x$breaks)))
Error: unexpected ')' in:
"avg <- by(warpbreaks, list(warpbreaks$wool, warpbreaks$tnsion),
function(x)mean(x$breaks)))"
No suitable frames for recover()
 > #previous line generates error due to typo
 > print(avg)
Error in print(avg) : object 'avg' not found

Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit

1: print(avg)

Selection: 0

So I don't think it is necessarily an emacs/ess problem.

Best,

Jim

> I'm using ESS 5.5 with R 2.10.0 on both emacs 22.1.1 (OS X built in) and
> Aquamacs (22.3.1).
>
> Can anyone shed light?
>
> Peter

James W. MacDonald, M.S.