[ESS] help in R 2.10 Windows

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:40:48 CET 2009

I'm using R 2.10 on Windows XP with ESS 5.5.

Since the previous discussion indicates startup scripts are problematic
for setting help, I set inferior-ess-help-command to "help(\"%s\",
help_type=\"text\")".

After this, when I use ? the system hangs until I do ctl-g.  When I then
do ctl-c ctl-c the help text prints out in the main *R* buffer.

I wanted text mostly because it took too long to get the help into the
browser (MSIE), even after the browser was opened.

Then I changed the help command to
 "help(\"%s\", help_type=\"html\")",
hoping at least to avoid the "htmlhelp is deprecated" warnings that
appeared as if they were regular ess help buffers.

However, I still have to type at least ctl-g and enter to get the help
to appear in the browser.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Ross Boylan