[ESS] sweave and auctex

Andreas Kiermeier andreas.kiermeier at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:21:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Mathieu Basille
<basille at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr> wrote:
> Thx Stephen for the information (and Andreas to work on it!), I totally
> missed it last year, and I really like it now!
>
> Based on Andreas code for .emacs, I have a couple of additional
> questions/comments:
>
> - Would it be possible to make 'C-c C-c Sweave' split into two windows (like
> ess-swv-weave does for me) so that we can follow directly what's going on,
> without manually switching to the R buffer? (maybe the solution is to
> actually use ess-swv-weave, but I wasn't able to do that based on Andreas
> code).

I generally just do the C-c C-l, which takes you to the output buffer
for the job, irrespective of whether that's Sweave output or Latex
output.

This means that I generally have my frame (maximised) split into 3
windows as follows: a tall one on the left (with the .Rnw file), and
on the right two equal sized windows on top of each other (one with R
and one for the output from Latex /Swaeve).

>  (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>               '("RubberSweave" "rubber -d %s && xpdf '%s.pdf'"
> TeX-run-command nil t) t)

I have something similar set up for Texify (rather than rubber -
texify comes with most Latex distros I think), but you have to have
the image files in the right format. Haven't done this for texify
after using Sweave. Here's what I've got at present (note the little
help info).

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
  (lambda ()
   (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
     '("TexifyPDF" "texify -b -p %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode)
:help "Texify document to pdf (resolves all cross-references, etc.)")
t)
    (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
      '("Texify" "texify -b %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode) :help
"Texify document to dvi (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)))

This could be modified to work with Sweave.

Cheers,

Andreas