[ESS] Font-locking (Syntax highlighting) color choices

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri May 8 21:17:36 CEST 2009

Hi Gang:

This must be a FAQ.  I suppose we should get around to writing up such a
document.  Today, I re-discovered the ess-font-lock.el file.  For me,
the default color choices draw no distinction between keywords and
functions :o(  This can be fixed by something like this in your init file:

(require 'ess-site)
(require 'ess-font-lock)

(ess-font-lock-db)

There are some other choices possible as well, but for XEmacs they need
some tweaking (committing for next release RSN).  For example:

(defun ess-font-lock-wheat ()
   "Set font-lock colors to Richard Heiberger's wheat color scheme."
   (interactive)

(if (featurep 'xemacs) nil ; line added to workaround XEmacs bug/feature
   (set-foreground-color "Black")
   (set-background-color "Wheat")
) ; line added to workaround XEmacs bug/feature

   (set-face-foreground 'modeline "Wheat")
   (set-face-background 'modeline "Sienna")

   (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "Firebrick")
   (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-function-name-face "Blue")
   (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-keyword-face "Purple")
   (if (eq font-lock-reference-face 'font-lock-constant-face )
       (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-constant-face "Brown")
     (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-reference-face "Brown"))
   (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-string-face "VioletRed")
   (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-type-face "Sienna")
   (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-variable-name-face "Black"))

Rodney