[ESS] R Plot freeze

Frede Aakmann Tøgersen FredeA.Togersen at agrsci.dk
Fri May 1 08:56:44 CEST 2009

I've observed that for several years. It can take up to several seconds before control is handed over to the R graphics device when switching to this window from other windows. This regardless of ESS version, Windows OS version, R version and even on different kinds of pc and laptop.

I don't think this is an ESS problem but more of an Emacs problem when Emacs start inferior processes up. I gave up trailing down the reasons since I reallly don't understand how Emacs communicate with foreign processes and my capabilty in lisp is very limited.

However, at some point I found out that going to the command line in the iESS buffer and just make a <RETURN> immidiately unlock the freezed graphics windows. Then your able to see an updated graphics device and make new plots.

Sorry for not being more helpful but this is better than killing the graphics device resulting in a crash of R.

Yours sincerely / Venlig hilsen
Frede Aakmann Tøgersen
Statistician, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Modeling, Statistics and Risk Analysis