[ESS] ess-transcript-send-command-and-move

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 15 19:35:07 CEST 2009

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

> tyler wrote:
>>
>> tyler:ess-svn-> diff scratch/ess-trns.el lisp/ess-trns.el 34a35
>> 234,246c235
>> <   ;;(ess-transcript-send-command) ;; This doesn't work properly
>> <   ;; custom code follows:
>> <   (let* ((proc (or ess-local-process-name
>> < 		   (ess-request-a-process "Evaluate into which process? " t)))
>> < 	 (ess-buf (get-ess-buffer proc)))
>> <     (setq ess-local-process-name proc)
>> <     (if (get-buffer-window ess-buf) nil
>> <       (display-buffer ess-buf t))
>> <     (let ((input (inferior-ess-get-old-input)))
>> <       (save-excursion
>> < 	(set-buffer ess-buf)
>> < 	(goto-char (point-max))
>> < 	(ess-eval-linewise input nil nil nil 1)))) ;; end of custom code
>> ---
>>>   (ess-transcript-send-command)
>>

> I'm just trying to understand your changes.  So, are you saying
> that what you have written is just a replacement for the code
> that went into ess-transcript-send-command?  Or is this a
> special case where that function is not appropriate?

I think this is a special case where ess-transcript-send-command isn't
appropriate. ess-transcript-send-command calls (ess-eval-linewise
input), when what I think is needed in the context of ess-t-s-c-and-move
is (ess-eval-linewise input nil nil nil 1).

So either:
  ess-t-s-c needs an argument so the calling function can
  specify whether or not the wait-for-prompt argument is set in the call
  to ess-eval-linewise,

or:
  as I have done above, the necessary code can be inserted directly
  into ess-t-s-c-and-move, so that the original ess-t-s-c isn't used

Another possibility is that ess-t-s-c could be modified so that the
default behaviour was to wait-for-prompt. I guess that would probably
break something else, or it would already be the default.

Hope that's clearer.

Tyler

                                       --Mark Twain