[ESS] ess-remote with ansi-term?

Vinh Nguyen vqnguyen at uci.edu
Thu Jun 11 16:48:26 CEST 2009

Dear ESS-help,

I recently discovered ess-remote, and I love it.  Did anyone
successfully get ess-remote to work with ansi-term in emacs?  That is,
in emacs, have an R script open,

1. start ansi-term in emacs, M-x ansi-term
2. ssh to a remote server in ansi-term, and start R
3. Hit M-x ess-remote in ansi-term buffer.

I get the following error when doing the above:
error in process filter: Symbol's value as variable is void:
term-pending-delete-marker

The MAIN reason i would like to use ansi-term is because its emulation
of a terminal is more robust compared to just 'shell', eg, i can run
SCREEN in it.  Often times, I run screen remotely to keep my remote
session from closing when i log out; this is especially useful when
running a long simulation as i can check on the status of my program.

Let me know if anyone get this to work.  Also, if anyone is interested
in getting screen to work on a remote server, check out my blog post:
http://supernerdycool.blogspot.com/2009/06/run-screen-in-emacs-combine-this-with.html
(if you run into an eterm-color error).

Thanks,
Vinh