[ESS] Emacs 23.1 is out

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 30 10:48:20 CEST 2009

Dear all,

New releases of GNU Emacs don't happen very often, so I thought I'd copy
this announcement to the list.  ESS has been working fine with the
prereleases of Emacs 23.1.  One of the key new features here is that
finally Emacs can use Xft for font rendering, which means antialiased
text at last!!!  Viewing PDFs and postscript files in line is nice too.

Stephen

GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
list of mirrors.

The MD5 check-sums for the tarballs are:

  a620d4452769d04ad8864d662f34f8dd  emacs-23.1.tar.gz
  17f7f0ba68a0432d58fa69d05a2225be  emacs-23.1.tar.bz2

Here are some new features of Emacs 23.  See etc/NEWS for a complete
list.

 - Improved Unicode support (the internal character representation is
   now based on UTF-8).

 - Font rendering with Fontconfig and Xft.

 - Support for using X displays and text terminals in one session,
   and for running as a daemon.

 - Shift-selection.

 - Smarter minibuffer completion.

 - Per-buffer text scaling.

 - Directory-local variables.

 - New packages for:
    * viewing PDF and postscript files (Doc view mode)
    * connecting to processes via D-Bus (dbus)
    * using the GNU Privacy Guard (EasyPG)
    * displaying line numbers in the fringe (Linum mode)
    * editing XML documents with on-the-fly validation (nXML mode)
    * editing Ruby programs (Ruby mode)
    * display-based word wrapping (Visual Line mode)