[ESS] Extend column width of R-Process in Emacs

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 20 05:57:18 CEST 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Stavros Macrakis wrote:

> If I understand your question correctly, this has nothing to do with
> ESS, just with the R process.
>
> To tell the R process the number of columns it can use in output, use:
>
>     options(width=999)
>
> I suppose it would be nice if there were some way to synchronize the
> actual window width with R's notion of the window width, but as far as
> I know there is not.

Perhaps:

---
C-c w runs the command ess-execute-screen-options
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `ess-inf.el'.
It is bound to C-c w.
(ess-execute-screen-options)

Cause S to set the "width" option to 1 less than the frame width.
Also sets the "length" option to 99999.
This is a good thing to put in `ess-post-run-hook' --- for the S dialects.
---

HTH,

Chuck