[ESS] File mode specification error: (void-function run-mode-hook)”.

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:19:58 CET 2009

Jianjie Ma wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am new to ESS and Emacs.
>
> Here is my problem.
>
> The ESS is put in the directory ~/ess/ess-5.3.10
>
> In my ~/.emacs file, I added (load "~/ess/ess-5.3.10/lisp/ess-site").
>
> R is installed in ~/Rlang, the version is 2.8.1.
>
> Emacs is version21.3.1.
>
> ESS works and loaded. It works fine for programming and running, that is I
> can start with M-x R and M-x SAS and then program and evaluate codes.
>
> The problem is when using the auto-mode of Emacs.
>
> When I open a file, for example, ~/test.R, the R-mode should be
> automatically selected since the "ess-site.el "specified the auto R-mode for
> files with suffix ".R". However I got the error "File mode specification
> error: (void-function run-mode-hook)" though the file can be opened and I
> can still evaluate the R code.
>
> And also, the highlighting and fonting features are not shown.
>
> Same Error happened when I tried to open files with suffix ".sas".
>
> Thanks for your help

Hi Jianjie:

The function run-mode-hook does not exist and also, does not appear
anywhere in the ESS sources that I can find.  The function name is
run-mode-hooks.  But, the error must be some where in the lisp files
distributed with the version of Emacs that you use.  Try upgrading
Emacs.  Hope this helps.

--
Rodney Sparapani      Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
Sr. Biostatistician              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor