[ESS] Inconsistent M-p (previous command)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 9 11:46:34 CET 2009

    VS> This issue was discussed in this thread
    VS> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/2913

yes, thank you Vitalie!

    VS> I don't thing this has been fixed in ess since then.

In the thread mentioned, ESS-core has acknowledged that it is
reasonable *wish* that was uttered there,
and that we would probably accept patches fulfilling that wish,
but no more.

In particular, it has not been called a "bug", and so the issue
is not about "fixing" but about
"fulfilling wishes" (which *is* a good thing!).

Honestly, I would not expect the issue to be addressed soon,
mostly because I think all of ESS-core have been strong
advocates of the paradigm "the source is real", hence we all do
and do teach users to work with *.R files rather than extensive
interactions with the history in the  *R* buffer.

Best regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich