[ESS] remote R

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 17 23:23:25 CET 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 16:43 PM, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> hi Kasper,
>
> Kasper Daniel Hansen <khansen at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> 1) Is ssh.el really the current recommended way to open an ssh
>> connection? I am amazed that there is not something bundled with Emacs
>> 23 that does this.
>
> Five years ago (!) I suggested to emacs-devel that ssh.el be folded into
> Emacs, but it wasn't done -- the suggestion instead was to merge the
> code for ssh.el with telnet.el and rlogin.el -- I don't see that I'll
> get time to do that soon.
>
> can you try M-x term instead as the terminal emulator, then do ssh and
> other commands within the term buffer?  C-c C-j gets you into 'line
> mode', rather than the default char mode.

Thanks Stephen

I am a slightly bit confused here.  I am pretty indifferent regarding the fact that ssh.el is not part of Emacs (but I was wondering...).  Are you suggesting term mode because it will be easier to solve my problem using term mode or just because term mode comes with Emacs?  It might not be that hard to write ssh-send-string using term-send-string as a template.

When I do use term mode I can start up R-devel on the remote cluster.  But when I execute ess-remote, Emacs (22 in this case) complains "error in process filter: Symbol's value as variable is void: term-pending-delete-marker", after which I can move around in the terminal buffer, but not get contact with the R process at all.  It seems that ess-remote is really designed for use with ssh.el?

Kasper