[ESS] remote R

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 22:43:10 CET 2009

hi Kasper,

Kasper Daniel Hansen <khansen at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> 1) Is ssh.el really the current recommended way to open an ssh
> connection? I am amazed that there is not something bundled with Emacs
> 23 that does this.

Five years ago (!) I suggested to emacs-devel that ssh.el be folded into
Emacs, but it wasn't done -- the suggestion instead was to merge the
code for ssh.el with telnet.el and rlogin.el -- I don't see that I'll
get time to do that soon.

can you try M-x term instead as the terminal emulator, then do ssh and
other commands within the term buffer?  C-c C-j gets you into 'line
mode', rather than the default char mode.

Stephen