[ESS] (ess-ask-about-transfile t) problem

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 21:09:03 CET 2009

Kjetil Halvorsen <kjetil1001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I experimented putting
> (setq   ess-ask-about-transfile t)
> in my .emacs   file. Then, when starting a new R process in emacs and
> giving a transcript file name, R starts in a READONLY buffer, so I can give
> no commands!
>
> That can't be the intention???

Ican confirm this behaviour, and a quick glance at the code didn't
reveal any obvious reason why this would be the case.  But as I don't
use transcripts, I'm not sure if there is a good reason for this.

For now, the workaround is that once R has started, you can do

C-x C-q

to toggle the read-only status and then use R.

Stephen