[ESS] Emacs won't start with ESS

Gustavo Lacerda guse at optimizelife.com
Sun Aug 23 00:41:00 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Richard M. Heiberger<rmh at temple.edu> wrote:
> One more try.

Thanks.

> Start emacs with
>
> emacs -q --no-site-files

Emacs starts up, but without the initial screen, i.e. no picture of a Gnu.
And I hear a sound, the same sound when Ctrl-G.

Here is the messages buffer, at this point:

("c:\\Program Files\\emacs\\emacs-22.3\\bin\\emacs.exe" "-q" "--no-site-files")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
command-line-1: Unknown option `--no-site-files'
Quit

> then go into the *scratch* buffer, enter
>
> (load-file
> "C:\\progra~1\\emacs\\emacs-22.3\\site-lisp\\ess-5.4\\lisp\\ess-site.el")
>
> followed by C-j (ctrl-J)
>
> Now what happens?

now Emacs freezes just like before... (e.g. the menus don't appear
when I click on them)

> If it works correctly, then there is some conflict in your site-start.el
>
> If it doesn't, look at the *Messages* buffer, and perhaps send the
> entire contents of that buffer to this list.

I don't know how to do this, since Emacs is frozen.

However, I see that the status bar says: "Finding all versions of R on
your system..."
I guess this is the step that takes forever.

For the record, under C:\Program Files\R,  I have both R-2.9.0 and R-2.9.1
So I deleted the R-2.9.0 folder and tried again, but nothing changed.

Gustavo