[ESS] Work flow of ess?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 27 09:09:38 CEST 2009

    r> Dear all, I found ess is helpful for me to write
    r> programme. However, I still cannot figure out how to use
    r> it as an integrated environment for R.  Can you share
    r> your experiences on your work flow of ess and how to use
    r> it as an efficient environment? Thanks.

I think we say it in the manual, maybe not well enough
advertized:

You can get to that section directly at

http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Philosophies-for-using-ESS_0028S_0029

The most important part of that is

>> 6.4 Philosophies for using ESS[S]
>>
>> The first is preferred, and configured for. The second one can be retrieved again, by changing emacs variables.
>>
>> 1: (preferred by the current group of developers): The source
>> code is real. The objects are realizations of the source
>> code. Source for EVERY user modified object is placed in a
>> particular directory or directories, for later editing and
>> retrieval.

Enjoy ESS!
Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich