[ESS] Select CRAN mirror fails the first time

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Apr 22 21:11:45 CEST 2009

This is a long standing problem between ESS and rterm. AFAIK, you can
get the selection window to pop up when running R in _any_ way other
than R/ESS (rterm from the command line, Rgui, etc.).

You can get around the problem (in decreasing order of kludginess) by
setting your CRAN repository as Stephen notes below, or by loading the
tcltk package first, or by either

chooseCRANmirror()
or
install.packages()

then a real quick C-g, C-c C-c to unfreeze the process. After which you
can use either of the above functions and the selection window will pop
up as normal.

This final 'solution' comes in handy when you try to use
install.packages() and at the last moment realize that you haven't set
your CRAN repository nor loaded tcltk ;-D

Best,

Jim

Stephen Eglen wrote:
> If you set the CRAN repos as an option beforehand, does that avoid the
> problem?
>
> e.g. in my .Rprofile I have:
>
> options(repos=c(CRAN="http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R"),
>         papersize="a4")
>
> Stephen
>
> Stavros Macrakis <macrakis at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have not been able to reproduce this problem when running Rterm.exe
>> under the Windows command line cmd.
>>
>>             -s

>>> Actually, I think I have seen this problem both with and without
>>> ESS using the R command-line rather than the GUI.  So, I don't
>>> think this is an ESS issue.  But, under Windows, I suppose you
>>> can't test it from the command line, correct?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rodney Sparapani      Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
>>> Sr. Biostatistician              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
>>> 4 wheels good, 2 wheels better!  Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)
>>> WWLD?:  What Would Lombardi Do?  Milwaukee, WI, USA

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab
University of Michigan