[ESS] ESS toolbar

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Apr 8 06:27:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Stephen Eglen wrote:

>> Even after your explanation I am a bit mystified by a few things:
>>
>> Firstly why does the manual say
>>  Variable: auto-resize-tool-bar
>>
>>     If this variable is non-nil, the tool bar automatically resizes to
>> show all defined tool bar items but not larger than a quarter of the
>> frame's height.
>>
>> when the tool bar can only have one line? I read that to mean the tool
>> bar would increase in height to fit the icons. And
>> auto-resize-tool-bar is stated there to be a variable, so what is
>> going on?
>>
>> Secondly, how is the different behaviour that I noted on windows
>> (where the tool bar does expand giving a second row of icons)
>> achieved? Is it because the windowing system is different on windows,
>> ie not X?
>
> These two things are probably connected -- I think they apply on windows
> and mac, but not on linux.  I just experimented on mac, and making the
> frame smaller does increase the number of rows on the toolbar.  The docs
> should presumably thus say mac and windows only, or similar.
>
> There is clearly another bug in the documentation though as I could get the
> toolbar to be more than a quarter of the frame's height!
>
> (needless to say, this is all a reflection of Emacs, rather than ESS.)

Well for me the good news is at least I am not a total dunderhead who
can't read documentation. Bad news is that it probably won't be fixed
anytime soon, unlike problems with ESS.

>> mouse than use command keys repeatedly to invoke this function. I
>> guess another option would be to rebind that function to some other
>> key sequence, but that could bring unforeseen conflicts.
>
> I have C-j bound in .R buffers to my favourite:
>  C-j runs the command ess-eval-line-and-step
>
> so that whizzing through a set of lines is a breeze.
>
> Stephen

I will give that a go. In ESS C-c C-n is normally bound to this function,
correct?

My inexpert attempt at what to include in my .emacs to do this rebinding
is:

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (local-set-key "\C-j" 'ess-eval-line-and-step)))

This seems to work. Any comments, suggestions?

Many thanks

David

David Scott	Department of Statistics
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055		Fax: +64 9 373 7018
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics