[ESS] ESS toolbar

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 7 01:23:17 CEST 2009

I have just had ESS installed on a linux box running Fedora 10. It is all
working except for one annoying aspect.

I prefer to keep my line size to be 80 characters but with that width, the
toolbar is too long for a single line. On my windows machine, where I use
Vince Goulet's packaged Emacs with ESS and AUCTeX the toolbar wraps around
to put some icons on a second line. On the linux box the extra icons are
accommodated on a drop-down menu which makes access to them much harder
(two steps instead of one).

I would like to have the toolbar expand to two lines when required. I have
read the section on toolbars in the GNU Manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Tool-Bar.html

which doesn't seem to work at all. The variables mentioned, tool-bar-lines
and auto-resize-tool-bars don't appear as options when I look for them
under Customize. I tried

(setq tool-bar-lines 2)
(setq auto-resize-tool-bars t)

in my .emacs with no apparent effect.

Emacs is GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
and I have tried both ESS version 5.3.10 and 5.3.11

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055		Fax: +64 9 373 7018
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics
Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics