[ESS] Font-locking

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 12:19:43 CEST 2009

hi Martin,

> If you work in biostats, you may want "survival" ("recommended",
> not "base"), and in biology you may want the functions from
> bioconductor bioBase, or in earth sciences, you "need" all of
> 'sp', i.e., from packages that are neither "base" nor
> (explicitly) "recommended".
>
> I'd prefer the current approach of just highlighting very few language
> "keywords".
>
> If we want to optionally allow users to go beyond,
> then the should specify a list of R packages (with a default of
> all "base" packages ?) from which they want functions to be highlighted.
> Maybe ESS could use a cache-file, and update that file whenever
> it's older than 6 months ( = y-release cycle of R x.y.z) ?

I agree that the list of extra packages is endless, and personally I'd
not want all that extra font locking in my code!  Your suggestion of
having a list of packages to consult would be good, and of course this
would be switched off by default so that current users do not see any
difference.

Stephen

p.s. as I'm not interested in this feature, I'm not coding it up in any
hurry!