[ESS] trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE) problem under ESS?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Fri Sep 26 14:06:22 CEST 2008

It would help to quote my comment fully enough to make sense:

------------------
Spencer Graves wrote:
     Your example "trace(zapsmall, edit=TRUE)" (p. 70) seems to
malfunction under ESS (XEmacs 21.4.20 with ESS 5.3.6, if I understand
correctly how to get this information) running Rterm 2.7.2.

This has nothing to do with the example or, really, with trace.  As
?trace mentions under the "edit" argument, it calls the function edit(),
which in turn uses options("editor") to choose an editor.  One needs to
set the editor to something that works with the GUI you're using (many
GUI's do this themselves).  I don't use ESS to run examples, but I
recollect this question was discussed on the ESS mailing list.

John