[ESS] ... when editing R documents, 'delete' key behaves as 'backspace'

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 8 09:43:54 CEST 2008

    AP> Could you please clarify which behaviour you are
    AP> suggesting to drop?  That is, which is "this behaviour"?

the one mentioned in the 'Subject' and below.

The proposal is to make <Delete> in ess-mode behave as it does
otherwise in emacs.
NOTA BENE:  <Delete> != <Backspace>

Martin

    AP> Thanks.  Alun

    AP> -----Original Message----- From:
    AP> ess-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
    AP> [mailto:ess-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of
    AP> Martin Maechler Sent: Monday, 8 September 2008 5:13 PM
    AP> To: ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch; Marek Jarocinski Cc:
    AP> ess-bugs at stat.math.ethz.ch Subject: Re: [ESS] ... when
    AP> editing R documents,'delete' key behaves as 'backspace'

    AP> [Forwarded from a semi-private communication in
    AP> ESS-bugs]

    >>> I have found a solution to this problem: All I need to
    >>> do is to comment out line 173 of ess-mode.el, which
    >>> says: (define-key ess-mode-map "\177"
    >>> 'backward-delete-char-untabify) After this line is
    >>> commented out, DEL key deletes forward, the same as in
    >>> all other modes.  Does that mean that it was an intended
    >>> behavior in ESS?

    StEgl> great, thanks for reporting this.  That code has
    StEgl> probably been there a long time, so I'd imagine that
    StEgl> yes, its intended.  Stephen