[ESS] temporarely leaving ess-remote session...

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 19:25:37 CEST 2008

on 09/04/2008 11:24 AM Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> As Tyler said, look into screen. There are plenty of tutorials on the
> net. I will gurantee that this is what you want. at least if your
> problem is this:
>   * go to work, start R remotely
>   * want to go home, but hate killing R
> You loose an Xwindows version of Emacs though.

If you are willing to build emacs 23 from cvs, MultiTTY support is now
part of the main cvs trunk and would enable an additional approach.

More information here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MultiTTYSupport

See the usage examples linked there.

There is also a pending patch for emacs 23.1 that will enable a
'--daemon' option on the command line, so that emacs will be able to
essentially run as a background service.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz