[ESS] iESS[Stata] quirks

Brendan Halpin brendan.halpin at ul.ie
Mon Oct 20 17:36:10 CEST 2008

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

> Rodney Sparapani wrote:
>
>> Hi Brendan:
>>
>> I'm wondering if it is even worth watching for the '#delimit ;' command.
>> For example, you may not be running the whole buffer, rather, you may
>> be selecting certain lines to run.  And, if you come across a ';' that
>> is not part of a string literal, then it must be a line ending, right?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rodney
>
> I'd like to try this.  Can some nice person from ESS core give me a
> hint as to how to do this?  I'm assuming that this would be a hack
> in some function in ess-inf.el  At first, I thought that it might
> be inferior-ess, but after looking at it, I don't think so.  A
> little help?

I'm not at all familiar with the core of ESS but I would look at
ess-eval-region in ess-inf.el. In fact, I suspect that the defun I
posted last week is hacked from an earlier version of this.

Looking at ess-eval-region, I think the optimal thing could be to copy
the region to a buffer, manipulate it appropriately (e.g. insert a
#delimit command at the top) and then send that buffer via
process-send-region.

Caveats: I don't know how to cleanly modify the defun for one language
and not another; also I have no idea how it might mess up functions that
call ess-eval-region.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147