[ESS] ess-swv-PDF hack(?)

Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Nov 16 07:58:10 CET 2008

  > This is due to a recent change in Sweave (a rather irritating change
  > in my opinion).

The change was done after considerable discussions and a long search
for other possible solutions: The old version inserted a hard path to
Sweave.sty into the .tex file. That did never work on most
installations on an admittedly rather exotic platform: Windows in an
English locale. TeX does not like spaces in paths, and
"c:/program files/R/..."  is where R ends up by default.
One can use the "short path", but that contains tildes which TeX
doesn't like in paths either.

  > You can solve it in 2 ways
  > 1) add Sweave.sty to your latex path. I am not too happy with this
  > because I am sure that I will forget to do it after next release of R
  > and I might miss out on updates.
  > 2) Follow the advice in the NEWS file about setting
  > SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT. I do it in the following way: I add a line
  > to ~/.Rprofile
  > Sys.setenv("SWEAVE_STYLEPATH_DEFAULT" = "TRUE")
  > This will get the old behaviour back.

Another possibility is to add the R texmf directory to your TeX input
path, unfortunately the R install dir on Windows conatins version
numbers by default. However, the good news is that Sweave.sty isn't
exactly changing on a rapid pace.

Best,
Fritz