[ESS] .Rd file with unknown encoding

John Maindonald John.Maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 7 03:52:06 CET 2008

R CMD check is complaining that a newly created .Rd
file has unknown encoding.  I type

C-x C-m c utf-8 C-x C-s
and am told that "no changes need to be saved".

Still I get the message.  I've also tried C-x C-w to ensure
that the file is explicitly over-ridden.

The problem no doubt arose because I copied in a
reference from a web page.  I have however changed
all the characters that seem likely to offend, and the
buffer seems to display satisfactorily under Emacs
Rd preview.  The function showNonASCII() does not
come up with anything.

Suggestions, short of starting again with a new file?!

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.