[ESS] can I make R help buffers automatically active and maximised?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 02:16:39 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Dan Davison <davison at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> When I call up a help page in an iESS (*R*) buffer with e.g.
>
>  ?read.table
>
>  the window splits in two horizontally with the requested help page in the other buffer,
>  and my cursor stays in the iESS buffer.
>
>  Can I control this behaviour? Personally I'd prefer to have the help buffer as the active buffer,
>  and have that buffer maximised rather than horizontal-split. i.e. I'd like to avoid typing the
>  extra C-X o C-x 1.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Dan

Hello, Dan:

Did you work out this help buffer question?

I have a follow up.

In my site-start, I have commands that start R in a separate frame,
and also the help display  launches in its own frame.  I think this is
what you are requesting.   Every time you run a help command, it gets
sent to this same frame.  For me, the only problem is that the frame
opens as a very small thing, about 10 lines, and I wish it would just
take a full screen's height. I'm working on a dual monitor system,
don't care to have all emacs buffers piled up on top of each other...

;;;
(require 'pc-select)
(pc-selection-mode)
;;;
(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)
(setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)
;;;
;;;;;create a new frame for each help instance
;;;
(setq ess-help-own-frame t)
;;;;;If you want all help
;;;;; buffers to go into one frame do: