[ESS] ESS-help Digest, Vol 61, Issue 9

Munawar Cheema mcheema at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 14 14:17:22 CET 2008

>Dear Jordan,

>save yourself a whole lot of trouble and install Emacs with ESS
>preloaded, thanks to Vincent Goulet:

>http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

>Emacs and XEmacs are pretty similar nowadays so I encourage XEmacs
>users to return to Emacs!

>Stephen

I whole heartedly endorse this statement.  I returned to using emacs after a
decade+ long absence. I chose Xemacs because of the reference by Fox to its
compatibility with ESS and also because I perceived it to be more "Windows"
oriented. I used it for a few months but found problems as upgrades came out
for R and ESS.
I then discovered Vincent Goulet's distribution of Gnu Emacs. I tried it out
and was amazed how gnu emacs has improved since I used it in college in the
late eighties and early nineties.
I have since started using emacs org mode, auctex mode, and other features
and find the help available to be superior to that of Xemacs.
Just one newbie's personal opinion FWIW.
Regards
Munawar Cheema

Message: 2