[ESS] Addition of R-here function?

Michael Hoffman b3i4old02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:34:14 CEST 2008

What would you think about adding something like this to ESS?

   (defun R-here ()
     "Run iESS R in current working directory."
     (interactive)
     (let ((ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil))
       (R)))

I have this in my .emacs, which allows me to run "emacs -f R-here" from
a shell (or add a "R.emacs" alias that does the same) and immediately
get to R running in emacs in the current directory. Essentially it makes
it easy to transition to ESS--you get R up and running immediately and
with no fuss, just as if you had typed "R", but it's all done within
emacs and ESS.

Suggestions and criticism welcome.