[ESS] transient mark mode

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 30 18:48:02 CEST 2008

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

>     TS> I think it might be better to add (deactivate-mark) in the body of
>     TS> ess-eval-region, but maybe there's a good reason not to.
>
> Hmm, yes....
>
> Thank you, Tyler!
>
> However, we (statistics group at ETH Zurich) have been using the
> combination of these two options
>  	    transient-mark-mode t
> 	    ess-eval-visibly-p  nil
> for a very long time,
> and I think I would rather  *not*  want that deactivation of the mark.
> After all, it's still your currrent region,
> and the transient mark mode is there to mark your current
> region, no?
>
> But of course we could make it a  customizable option.

That would be easy, I think:

(if ess-deactivate-mark-p deactivate-mark)

in the body of ess-eval-region, and the corresponding variable
definition wherever it belongs.

> If you can give convincing reasons, we could even set the
> default of that option to be the one you prefer
> {as opposed to the current behavior}.

I have no convincing reasons, as I personally have no preference. If the
majority of ESS users aren't bothered by the current situation, that
argues in favour of the status quo remaining the default.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
I'm Tyler Smith and I approve of this email.