[ESS] transient mark mode

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 30 02:32:58 CEST 2008

William Knebel <billk at metrumrg.com> writes:

> Our group uses emacs+ess to run R on a mac osx server (10.5.4). I have
> an unusual issue between two ESS settings.  We standardly set
>
>  transient-mark-mode t
>
> When I use the above setting with
>
> ess-eval-visibly-p nil
>
> the text in emacs get highlighted appropriately use C-x space
> and gets submitted properly using C-x c C-x r but the text in the
> emacs buffer satys highlighted as though it was never submitted. Is
> this an interaction between these two options.  I would to be able to
> use these together. We are using R-2.7.1 and ess 5.3.7.

Someone else asked about this on the list a while ago. I've had this in
my .emacs since then, and it seems to fix the issue, although perhaps
not optimally:

(defadvice ess-eval-region (after unmark-after-eval)
  "Deactivate mark after sending region to the ESS process"
  (deactivate-mark))

(ad-activate 'ess-eval-region)

I think it might be better to add (deactivate-mark) in the body of
ess-eval-region, but maybe there's a good reason not to.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
Watching a recorded television broadcast more than once will be illegal
under Bill C-61.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3046/125/